My Blog List

LifeNews.com

22

AND WE PRAY FOR THE CONVERSION OF [fill in the blank] TO CHRIST, OR A RE-COMMITMENT TO CHRIST

Saturday, August 15, 2015

mariners church, re messy church, doug field was the guest preacher

mariners church, re messy church...i have to admit that was quite a memorable sermon by the guest preacher, doug fields. I remember seeing him as a guest preacher at saddleback too. Apparently he served as a regular pastor for a while at both churches before he decided to "go it alone" . Now he's on the preaching circuit. see his website at http://www.everymanministries.com/authors/doug-fields
he was at times quite emotional in his message, very critical of people who "act happy" all the time. There is a place for this, but also sometimes too many churches act as if ALL of us are there because we are so downtrodden and need the expert help of the church, which isn't the case. I go to church because it's a matter of duty and obligation to attend and support a local congregation. I'm not in a constant emotional soap opera and don't need a "small group" to help me with all my needs. Doug seemed to be driving at the idea that we ALL have big problems and stop trying to fake it. But that's not always true. We all have daily issues that need attention but that's just life. That's not a matter of needing a psychotherapist or a matter of being sad-faced about all day, Perhaps he was "projecting" a little too much of his own life pattern on to all of us. Don't get me wrong. I like his "realism". He's in the "tell it like it is" style, even if sometimes that's not the way it is. I get it. But this is my rebuttal. If the shoe fits, wear it..
So let's keep Doug in our prayers along with all the mariners church staff & clergy. May God give them confidence and strength and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Keep the faith !